Saturday, May 7, 2011

I LOVE bike touring!!!!! (so far..)

Well, it took us three days to get to Bangor instead of one, but we are now in Maine on the second official day of our bike tour!  We stopped at the Library in the little town of Sullivan to post an update :)  Keith and I ended up getting a room at a hotel across the street from the bike shop we had had our bike sent to so that we could have somewhere out of the rain to put together our bike and get everything organized and packed in our trailer and panniers.  It was exciting to see everything come together!  We met up with our buddies yesterday morning and biked about 40 miles--a good first day's mileage.  WE LOVE OUR BIKE!!!!!  It is awesome.  Way worth it to be able to pedal separately and coast at our own free will.. When one of us is pedaling and the other is coasting it sounds like a big catch running with the bait.. taking the line.. so I can't coast secretly darn it.  The good thing about a tandem is that I can pinch Keith's bum any time I want and he can't do anything about it.  However, I am facing an entire summer of being downwind of Keith's stinky armpits..  We have been blessed with pretty nice weather so far.  Our bottoms are indeed sore, but our moral is high.  We found a nice place to camp last night off the highway in some trees--the toads chirping loudly.  Had some white cheddar Macaroni with some Peperoni in it cooked on our MSR Dragonfly for dinner.  Maine is really nice! Beautiful old houses, green grass everywhere, tons of crab pots laying around, very friendly locals.. We have just reached the ocean here and will indeed put at least a foot in the water before the day is through so we can do the same when we reach the pacific in four months.  This is going to be Great : ) 

1 comment:

  1. piching bums and downwind of stinky armpits. now that's true love! :) ha!

    ReplyDelete