Monday, February 20, 2012

Lyngdalsheidi



Well, because of a lack of snow down at Holmasel--the farmhouse in Southern Iceland where we were living--the boss has moved headquarters here, to a place called Lyngdalsheidi.  The five of us (Siggi--the owner, Claire--his girlfriend, Mirko--the German musher, Keith and I) now live in the one-room cabin pictured above with no electricity or running water.  The place has it's inconveniences (pooping in a bucket and breathing propane all day), but is really a much more beautiful location and I have enjoyed taking many panoramic pictures lately of the valley--I tried to upload, but the files were too large.  We have arranged to take two days off a week to freshen up and attend church, etc.  So I am making use of the internet while I can to give this update.

The cabin life offers few distractions and I spend much time curled up in my blanket reading.  I am currently reading "Travels in Alaska" by John Muir.  What a phenomenal writer/thinker/being.  I recommend this book to everyone who enjoys history, philosophy, and the wonders of the natural world.  I wish we had more writers and scientists today that see and are awed by God's hand in everything, as he does.  Keith and I are also reading together "Walden, or Life in the Woods" by Henry David Thoreau.  Interesting to read the two together--both from about the same time, wonderful observers, thinkers, and writers. One focusing on the natural world with humans as a part of it, one focusing on human attitudes and behavior with the natural world as a part of it--especially at a time when we are living as if it were the 1800s, seeing by candlelight and boiling water for the rare washing of some dishes.

Anyway, there's the update.

3 comments:

  1. What amazing adventures you and Keith are having! I will totally pass on pooping in a bucket but would love to see and experience the rest! When you two need some warmth then we have a room ready for you in Malaysia! Love to you both...Aunt Jen and Uncle Shawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha That would be Awesome! I loved seeing your pictures at Grandma Betty's birthday!! Looks amazing!

      Delete