Saturday, June 18, 2011

Thoughts on waves (not those kind)

One of my favorite things this whole trip has just been to wave to people--many people some days--and see each wave back with a big smile on their face.  Tandem bikes make people stop what they are doing, look up, and smile. Most of the time it's people working in their yards--women and children in rainboots working in their garden patch, old men on their "lawn tractors," people hoeing and shoveling (people are always out working in these provinces!) and fisherman just in for the day.  It just feels good to make these little connections with people.  I feel so blessed to be able to look in the eye and share a joy-filled moment.  I like to think maybe some of them are inspired to do something they've always wanted to do when they see us pass on our laden bike.  I've thought about how it's neat that this summer I'll be "sharing a wave" with people all across Canada.  At one point I thought, maybe I should count, but then I thought, no, I want to wave to each person and savor that moment for what it is, not just be thinking of numbers.  Anyway, that's something that makes me happy these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment